Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'm Back!!!


I am back from my business trip to Southeast Florida. It is a beautiful place but I'm glad to live in the Pacific Northwest. ( Above :honeybee on thyme blossoms.)



For some reason they wouldn't let me take this big boy home on the plane. I think he would make a better watchdog then the ones we have. Not so great on early warning but a great deterrent to unwanted visitors.



I have finished harvesting honey from all three hives and you can see the difference in color between the new and old hives.



I pour the honey from the extractor into gallon jars and the filter it and place in pints.



I was watching the honey bees work the thyme in the herb garden when a bald-faced hornet attacks, kills and eats one of the bees. I have killed three yellow jacket nests this year, maybe I should look for his nest also.



Next I will be harvesting some late season honey.....yum!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome home. John's parents lived in FL for many years. I always thought it unusual to look out of their condo and see gators in the canal! Beautiful photos of your honey. Hoping you have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really neat how there's such a big difference in honey color! I don't think we'd come visit as often if you had crocodiles or alligators at your house. We're good with just the alligator lizards that are popping out babies in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the clarity and colour of your honey. It looks wonderful. Please tell me what sort of honey it is that is so light in colour?
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO jealous of your honey harvest!!! I didn't get any this year. It's my first year, and the hive split in June - my bee mentor told me it'd be best to let them have all the honey this year. Poo.

    ReplyDelete