Wednesday, April 21, 2010


The package of bees I ordered have arrived. I lost one hive this winter so am replacing it with this three pound package.



It was a cool and wet day this past Saturday which means the bees may be a little grumpy so I suit up to empty the box.



The package comes with a feeding can that is filled with syrup and here I place it in an empty box on top of a hive box filled with frames.



Then I shake the bees into their new home.


I remove the queen cage from the package and put it into the hive then finish shaking the rest of the bees into the boxes.


They would not all come out so I place the package in front of the new hive.


My son-in-law is starting a hive also, so he watches how it is done. To see how he is doing go to his family blog at A.Joy At Home.


Here you can see the bees leaving the package and walking up the ramp into the new hive. I use an entrance feeder until they put away enough reserve stores to make it on their own.


9 comments:

  1. So we have a question ~ is there a color you should NOT paint a bee hive? We still need to paint ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all so amazing to me. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very interesting. Are you saying that the bees will accept any Queen that you put in there. I was under the impression that they had to grow their own. Are your bee hives very expensive to buy?
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star,
    A new or queen-less hive will most times accept any queen if given a few days to get accustomed to her so she is put into a small cage with a marshmallow in the opening so it takes a few days for the workers to eat their way in to set her free. An established hive will grow their own just before they swarm or if the Queen dies and there are young brood in the hive. A three pound package runs about $75.00 around here and they come from California. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having so much fun with my bees. I can already tell I'm going to want a few more hives. I hope you have a good year with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this kind of post fascinating. I also noticed just below that I missed a birthday. I'm sending belated good wishes your way. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kind of new to beekeeping, and was wondering what are the benefits of placing your hive in a woody area as opposed to an open field. (Just different type of honey produced?)

    -Honey Beekeeping Beginner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is very interesting. I have never met a bee keeper in real life...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just jumping back in to thank you for the comments about the asparagus soup. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete